Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Robust Effect: Origins of a Name

You might be asking yourself how I came to decide on "Robust Effect" as the title for my blog. Well, for anyone in the field of clinical psychology (or science in general), the phrase should be quite familiar. When researchers are sharing their findings with others, they love to use catchy words to add zing to their otherwise boring lectures/papers. Referring to strong results as a "robust effect" is one such device.

Well, I hate it. Every time I hear someone use it, I cringe. It is a stupid catchphrase used to make research sound more important or interesting than it really is. Maybe it's just a reflection of the fact that all research psychologists are egocentric and primarily concerned with sounding important. I don't know when this phrase became popular, but I would love to know so that I have someone to blame for it.

Acronyms are also worthy of scorn, but that topic will have to wait for it's own post.

No comments: